Polymerization – PECVD – PVD – Etching – Surface Treatment
The BDS-MF Generator is a mid frequency RF power generator designed for powering large area plasma processing systems with balanced or unbalanced electrodes. The BDS-MF is capable of providing continuous, non-pulsed power for plasma deposition, etching, surface treatment and cleaning processes. With an operational frequency of 40KHz, its robust design will complement all types of high & low voltage plasma processes. High Voltage (HV) and Low Voltage (LV)models are available with maximum output power ratings of 5, 10 or, 15 kW (The 15kW model available in 2017).
The power generator’s high voltage output topology consists of either one or two (balanced) outputs with individual output connections to drive the electrode(s). The electrodes may be any size or shape (typically a rod or plate). For use with a 2 output generator, each electrode should be dimensionally the same and present a balanced plasma load (graphic below to the left). To complement a plasma system design where each of the two electrodes are NOT physically the same, we offer an optional series pass capacitor module. This optional module enables both electrodes to be driven together by the generator but operate independently by assuming their own DC voltage levels (center graphic below). A two (balanced) output unit may also be used to drive a single electrode by shorting one of the outputs AND using the external, series capacitor module.
Plasma etching and surface treatment systems may include two or more pairs of flat plate type electrodes that operate at a much low voltage and higher current than long round electrode systems. To complement these interleaved, multi-electrode applications, we offer the BDS-MF-LV version that includes a low voltage / high current output circuit. Contact Manitou Systems to discuss your application.
See the graphics below to determine which electrode type your plasma system uses. The graphic at the left shows a balanced electrode system where both electrodes are alternately powered from the plasma generator’s dual outputs. The graphic at the right shows an electrode system where one side of the electrode array is grounded – requiring a single output plasma generator.
One of the major benefits of this product is its packaging design including a compact and internal high voltage matching transformer. This eliminates the need for a separate and costly external transformer box.
The BDS-MF is easy to integrate into an OEM processing system and has the following features:
- Compact size – 19 inch wide X 4RU (7″/178mm) tall for easy electronic rack cabinet mounting.
- Flexible control interface – the analog user port is standard with optional RS232 and Profibus control.
- Active front panel operating parameter display (all control via the analog or serial interfaces).
- Efficient cooling system – Oversized heat sinks with variable speed fans provide flow through forced air cooling. The BDS-MF is able to operate at full power with a maximum 104°F/40°C ambient temperature without compromise.
We are proud to announce: since 2012 over 350 units have been qualified and delivered to our global OEM customers ! These plasma generators have been integrated into production systems used for plasma polymerization processes for the manufacturing of automotive components.
Our international OEM customers include: Arzuffi – Buhler – Creavac – Jeoun – Kolzer – Nurivac – ON Link – VTD – VTI
- AC mains input voltage: 480V or 400V 3-phase 50/60Hz +/-10% (USA or European AC mains voltage specified at time of order)
- AC Mains input current: 480V/14A or 400V/18A (maximum / phase)
- Grounding: via PE (protective earth terminal)
- Enclosure: 19″ wide rack mount – 4RU (7″/178mm) high x 22″/540mm deep
- Unit weight: 50lbs/22kg
- Output frequency: 40KHz (pure sine wave)
- Maximum output power: 5, 10 or 15 kW
BDS-MF High Voltage – Low Current Models
- Maximum output voltage: 4.6kV rms typical (up to 7kV optional)
- Maximum output current:
- 5kW Model 3.5 amps (low voltage tap) and 2.5 amps (high voltage tap)
- 10kW Model 5 amps (low voltage tap) and 3.5 amps (high voltage tap)
- 15kW Model X amps (low voltage tap) and X amps (high voltage tap)
- Ignition voltage: >5kV (using the HV tap)
- Plasma matching transformer: internal with 2 taps: 1000 & 2000 ohms is standard (optional 3 taps)
- Output connections: one or two Fischer type 105 coaxial connectors – for use with type RG214/U cable
- Output cables: 26.3′ (8 meter) long type RG-214 cables supplied – weight per cable assembly is 3.75 lbs.
- Caution: Do Not operate the BDS-MF without the minimum length cable(s) 15’/5m cables connected.
BDS-MF-LV Low Voltage – High Current Models
- Maximum output voltage: kV rms typical
- Maximum output current:
- 5kW Model X amps (400 volt tap) and X amps (1000 volt tap)
- 10kW Model 36 amps (400 volt tap) and X amps (1000 volt tap)
- 15kW Model X amps (400 volt tap) and X amps (1000 volt tap)
- Ignition voltage: 1kV (using the HV tap)
- Plasma matching transformer: internal with 2 taps: X & X ohms is standard
- Output connections: screw type terminal block
- Caution: Do Not operate the BDS-MF without the minimum length cable(s) x’/xm cables connected.
- Arc detection: transformer primary over current sensing with a 1uS response time
- Cooling: Forced air – through front panel with variable speed fans
- Front panel display: LCD type – 2 lines X 40 characters – blue color (Note: the front panel does not include any user controls – just operating parameter display – all functional control via the analog or serial I/O)
- Measured and displayed parameters: output rms voltage / output current / DC bus current / delivered power / heat sink temperature / Arc counter / selected tap # / interlock status / output state
- Output regulation mode: Power (standard) – Voltage (optional – must be specified at time of order placement)
- Functional protection: Over current – open load – process arcs – AC mains under voltage – over temperature
- Control interface:
- Digital: (optional) RS232 or Profibus
- Analog: via a DB25 connector – 0>10VDC signals, 24VDC digital & interlock (pin out compatible with the AE model PEII ©
- RMS output current: 10V = 3.5A (5 & 10kW models)
- RMS output voltage: 10V = 10kV
- Active output power: 10V = 10kW
- Operating (ambient) temperature: 5>40 degrees C
- Power conversion efficiency: Typically 90%
- Compliance: CE / EMC EN55011 Group 2, Class A ISM
- Country of manufacture – ITALY
- Shipping weight: 66 lbs. (30kg) > 77 lbs. (35kg) The total shipping weight is based on the model and included accessories.
- Packaging: Cardboard carton measuring 23″ (58cm) X 28.5″ (72cm) X 14″H (35cm)
- Shipping methods: This product may be shipped from the factory (as individual cartons) via an international small package service or in quantities of two or more, fastened to a skid. A typical skid will accommodate up to three cartons.
Included Accessories – High Voltage Model
- Coaxial output cables:
(1 or 2 based on model) 26.3 foot (8 meter) long type RG214 high voltage complete with installed
connectors at the generator end. The user end is UN-terminated (cut end only).
- HV output connector clamping bracket (for single or dual output model) .
- Product manual – e-file on USB thumb drive.
- D-Sub 25 male connector + Shell to connect the unit’s I/O.
- AC Mains connector including contacts, body and shell
- BDS-MF 5kW Single/UN-Balanced (1 output) Order PN: 00010247
- BDS-MF 5kW Dual/Balanced (2 outputs) Order PN: 00010248
- BDS-MF 10kW Single/UN-Balanced (1 output) Order PN: 00010246
- BDS-MF 10kW Dual/Balanced (2 outputs) Order PN: 00010245
- BDS-MF 15kW Dual/Balanced (2 outputs) (Available in 2017) Order PN: 00010249
- BDS-MF-LV 5kW Dual/Balanced (2 outputs) Order PN: 00010366
- BDS-MF-LV 10kW Dual/Balanced (2 outputs) Order PN: 00010367
Please contact us for more information
- Non-standard output voltage level
- 3 tap matching transformer
- Series pass capacitor module
- Output cables with user defined (plasma end) connectors and/or special length (32′ 10″ (10 meter) is maximum suggested length). Please contact Manitou Systems for current pricing.
- 26.3′ (8m) standard cable – Fischer connector > cut end – weight = 3.7 lbs. Order PN: 00010345
- 32.8′ (10m) optional cable – Fischer connector > cut end – weight = 4.6 lbs. Order PN: 00010346
- BDS-MF data sheet
- HV output cable data sheet
- Mechanical installation 2-D drawing – pdf
- Mechanical installation 3-D drawing – pdf
- Application notes